Right before we left the Rock Springs Cabin, the smell of wet desert came.
Then the rain…
If you’ve been on the Mojave road before, you know at this point the trail ahead sticks out like a sore thumb. Although the camera/editing managed to pick it up well, it was almost indistinguishable to the eye.
We set off towards Marl Springs, questioning what we would do about tonight’s camp…
Throughout all the years of being in the desert, I finally came across the 2nd desert tortoise! We stood back and waited, and waited, and waited hoping it would continue it’s path across the trial to no avail. We ended up picking it up, moving and setting it down slowly on the bank in it’s direction. Made sure all was well and went on our way.
Once at Marl Springs, the rain finally stopped to make way for hail…
We had two more stops to make, the Flag Pole and the Lava Tube, before figuring out what we were going to do for camp in this weather. Tired, hungry and wet, we set off to finish the days adventure.
Being one that spends countless hours on topographic maps and researching the general vicinity before a trip, I knew of a cabin that could possibly give us shelter from the storm. Even though it was a detour off the Mojave Road, I let the group in on my idea and with everyone’s approval, we set off looking for refuge and a place to call it a day. When we arrived, we made sure it looked vacant before proceeding, and to our benefit, it was. We we’re STOKED!
Not even 10 minutes upon arriving, the rain started really coming down. Followed by lightning and thunder. We couldn’t be more thankful for having a roof over our heads. Time to relax, cook some dinner and explore our temporary home after a long day on the trail.
Eventually, the storm gave way to a sunset.
Time to call it a night.